Frequently asked questions
- In summary we can say that Belgian people are really friendly, party-being and have a great sense of hospitality so they will certainly share this personality with you.
- We know we’re living in this strange small country surrounded by political disputes between the communities. But well, politics is not the way citizens are and fortunately we know about us and can make jokes about ourselves. The sense of humour and self-mockery is then one of our strength we can say.
- Typical belgian stuff are the “Belgian compromise” which our peaceful method to settle the disputes, and the “brick in the belly” as we invest heavily in homes building and restauration.
The way we live
- So now you might want to know what you can do or not when you are with people.
- There are not so much rules actually
- If you want to say hello you have the choice between shaking hands or giving one kiss on the cheek. It all depends on how well the feeling is going between you and the other people.
- Belgian jokes are not that funny to us
- It’s considered a bad thing to spit on the streets eventhough sometimes it happens!
- Queuing is not really of our concern even if people are respectful. Just make your way.
- Lunch is between 12 and 1 pm, dinner time is aroud 7 and 8 pm.
- If you’re invited to a house, it’s generally considered that you bring flower the the lady of the house.
- For the rest, don’t worry you’re in Belgium keep in mind to act like us : adaptation, party, relax, humour and no pride… it should do!
The project must be showcased in English and you are invited, by courtesy with the visitors, to have an abstract in French and Dutch.
Projects must be related to a scientific or technical topic and have to enter one of the following categories:
- Social sciences
More information on:
- The participant have to complete the registration information online;
- The participant requests its invitation to the organiser once the registration is completed;
- The organiser issues the invitation;
- The participant fulfils all requirements needed and handle his/her request with the embassy or consulate in charge for Belgian visas.
- The participant is fully responsible to handle his visa in due time and to provide all required documents to obtain it;
- The organisers will not be responsible if a participant does not receive his visa on time to travel;
- The visa request should be entered at least 2 months in advance;
- The visa costs 60€ + the administrative cost;
- The participant wishing to extend its stay must be able to justify the additional time (hotel booking, etc.) when requesting its visa.
- Quick check if you need a VISA
- List of Belgian embassies/consulates (for short term VISA, Belgium can be represented by another Schengen Country)
- Requirements for a VISA application
- Minor children must submit an application form signed by a person with parental authority or by a legal guardian and If travelling without them. This means papers from both parents (requested to avoid parental rape);
- A cover letter from the organisation to the person responsible is an asset;
- If the list of participants is changing, the invitation must be updated;
- It might be requested at the border to prove that every person is having 50€/day;
- For minor children, this might include information about the parents; registration evidence to the following scholar year is an asset;
- The proof of transport is not required when you lodge the visa application, to avoid unnecessary costs but might be asked.
The organisers are taking care of the European participants and escorts tickets.
Special Lufthansa Group airlines fares
The Lufthansa Group airlines bring people together – every day, all around the world. The global route network of Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, SWISS, Brussels Airlines and Eurowings offers optimal connection and combination options, so you will benefit from quick and direct flights to the event.
You will reach the booking platform via this link https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/meetings-and-events-delegates and with the event code BEAUIGD. The reduced fares are automatically displayed.
NB: Please enable pop-ups permanently in your browser while booking, otherwise the window in the booking platform will not open.
Of course, you can also book through your IATA travel agency. The travel agency can request the
ticketing instructions by sending an email to email@example.com, stating the event code